Getting started on a conversation about a book and/or an author is always tough. To make life that little bit easier I have come up with a list of Q&A’s to set it going.
To take part in the Q&A Challenge answer at least 10 questions from the selection below – first two are obligatory.
The title being promoted should be current – i.e. it should have been published during the past 6 months (longer by agreement) or coming up in the next 3 months.
Preferred total word count between 500 and 2,000.
Funny or serious, or a bit of both, the choice is yours, but keep it clean!
I reserve the right to refuse any submissions on grounds of taste/style/substance.
In addition to this Q&A I am also open to authors promoting their own book here as a guest blogger by prior agreement.
- Tell us a little about yourself – remember to include your own web/blog links, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook or other social media links, plus details of you book, (book cover and blurb), 50 word biog and author picture. (Thumbnail/low res pics only.)
- Tell us about your new book! (publication date, publisher if applicable, links to purchase, formats available, price)
- What was the thinking behind the book – themes and settings
- How long have you been writing and how did you get started?
- What do you like to do when you’re not writing, and does it come in useful for your stories?
- What is at the root of your current book/story?
- Ebooks or Traditional?
- How important is your setting? (time and place)
- What is the best piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?
- Is there any genre or style of writing you haven’t tried yet but would like to?
- Do you ever brainstorm ideas with other writers?
- Name your superpower and why that one?
- Covers: how important are they? And how do you find/design yours?
- Where would you hide the bodies?
- Your work space: chaos or calm?
- Pitch your latest book to the world at large in 100 words.
- What’s the most important thing you have learned about writing?
- What aspects of writing to do you find the most tricky?
- Do you have music playing when you write? What are your tracks of choice?
- Romance: Pride and Prejudice or Fifty Shades?
- Have you ever use real people in disguise for your books? (Be they relatives, neighbours, friends or enemies)
- Which of your previous works are you most proud of, and are there any that you would like to forget about?
- Your favourite quote from any book.
- What is it that you like best about the lead character in your book/series?
- Have you ever killed of one of a major character, and why?
- Do you have a typical writing day?
- Do you have any particular preparations for warming up the writer-brain, or get stuck straight in?
- Full synopsis before you start? Or seat of the pants?
- Who would play you in your biopic?
- If you could have dinner with any writer in your field (past of present) who would it be and why?
- Crime: Poirot or Girl on a Train?
- Is there one subject you would never write about as an author?
- What was the first (*genre ) story you read and what kind of impact did it make on you?
- What one genre/plot cliché would you get rid of?
- Research: chore or obsession?
- What is the oddest fact you have ever unearthed when researching a book?
- Naming characters: do you choose? or do the names come fully formed with the character?
- If you could kill off any character from any other book, who would you choose and how would they die?
- Your most embarrassing moment – have you ever given that moment to any of your characters?
- Have you ever included people you know (disguised or not) in your fiction?
- Fantasy: Lord Of The Rings or Howl’s Moving Castle?
- What are you currently reading?
- Who are some of your favourite authors and what is it about their work that appeals?
- Comic: Batman or Fables?
- Do you have a soundtrack for your work ?
- Do your allow your characters to ever take over the plot?
- Who would star in the film?
- What/when was the first piece of fiction you wrote? And what happened to it? (Be honest now!)
- If you could have written any other book what would it be and why?
- If not a writer then what?
- Literary festivals and conventions: Where/when will you be appearing next?
- Oxford commas – discuss!
- What are you up to next? (Published works/conventions/random fun!)
- (Insert question of choice.)