We now have a greenhouse. Old, small and slightly battered, but a greenhouse nevertheless! Last year’s tomato crop in a plastic ‘tomato greenhouse’ was a disaster so this will be a boon (I hope). Much juggling was required to get the glass in, something like a jigsaw with no picture and half the pieces missing. We are nine panes of glass short but had three sheets of plastic glazing left by a previous tenant and that, along with some poly tunnel sheeting, has filled the gaps so it is now useable.
There was a delivery of used pallets at the plot and Peter knocked up a quick cold frame for hardening off young plants. Except that the forecast for the coming weekend is snow… and as my plants have been raised indoors I rather think keeping them back until next week when it warms up again would be a good move.
Yesterday, while is was still warm, I potted on the courgettes (2 types), pumpkins, outdoor cucumbers and winter squash.
As always I have rather more plants than I need but I am allowing for both non-thrivers and for some swapsies with other gardeners.
These are all awaiting transport to the allotment when the weather settles.
I also have cucamelons!
Not something I have tried before but they sound like fun! They are still rather small so I shall bring those on a little more first. I shall be interested to see how those go. The tomatoes are likewise all rather little to pot in as yet, and I have some Ailsa Craig seeds still to start.
Our eight raised beds are all properly filled now as we invested in some top soil, and I have planted out onion sets, which I started off in trays and which were romping away so could not wait any longer, and a row of shallots. I found three garlic bulbs in the shed which were sprouting, so broke those apart and planted those. One bed filled and seven to go.
I have also started runners and french beans in trays – something I always do because I like to give them a fighting chance against the molluscs and mice! Mange tout still to plant.
This year I have also decided to try starting carrots off in cells. Never had a lot of luck with sowing direct sow and it will be interesting to see if they thrive.