Time for a treat, I think, after cooking all of those worthy meals.
Next to Eton Mess or fruit salad this has to be one of the simplest recipes. Only cooking involved is boiling a kettle!
If you follow the veg version its a low cal desert that tastes like full fat! But you can go the whole hog if you prefer 🙂
- 18 sponge fingers (depending on dish size) This can be a good opportunity to use up that left-over sponge cake! Waste not want not!
- Half pint of Cold strong black coffee (you can also add a small glass of alcoholic beverage – but adjust liquid amount accordingly – Amaretto, Tia Maria, Baileys or any drink of choice – Masala is the traditional Italian ingredient but as the recipe only needs one small glass its not worth buying a bottle just for this if you don’t drink it in general.)
- 7 oz. Fat free Fromage Frais (or Greek Yoghurt)
- 6 oz. low fat Quark (or low fat cream cheese)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 to 2 oz. sifted icing sugar (adjust to taste)
- Sifted Cocoa powder and/or grated dark chocolate for decoration
- Mix cheese and fromage (or alternatives), vanilla and sifted sugar
- Line base of a 1lb loaf tin with cling film (optional – I just make it in a nice dish and serve from that)
- Put a layer of sponge fingers in the base and pour in a third of the coffee (Place other sponges in a separate dish and add rest of liquid – this is where you need to work fast!)
- Pour over a layer of fromage/quark mix over the first layer
- Put in a layer of soaked sponge fingers – amount of layers will depend on size and shape of dish used but end on white layer.
- Sprinkle with sifted cocoa and/or grated chocolate.
- Chill for minimum of 1 hour
- Turn out onto plate if cling film is used (this is why I use a nice glass dish as it can get messy! 🙂 But if you are freezing it then obviously it might be advisable for safety sake.)
Can be made in advance and frozen if needed. Remember to take out at least one hour in advance
Note: illos used are stock photos