I can’t recall where I got the original recipe – so apologies to who ever that was! I have adapted it over the years to my own taste however.
This is another firm favourite in this household. Tasty and healthy at the same time and the only bit that takes any time is the chilling!
- 500g Lean minced beef (You can use quorn mince but that tends to make the burgers fall apart in cooking.
- 86g Blueberries (blitzed)
- 30g rolled oats (fine-milled is better than whole rolled)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp worcs sauce
- 1 crushed clove of garlic (optional)
- dash of paprika (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Mix together, shape and then chill well
- Fry as normal burgers in a small amount of sunflower oil.
- To save calories halve buns and put one burger patty on each half and serve as an open sandwich/burger.
- Garnish/serve with salad veggies of choice
Homemade burgers do have a tendency to disintegrate in the pan, and the chilling part is essential to minimise that. Many burger recipes do not use egg but I include one to allow for the extra moisture and prevent the patties from breaking apart. But so long as they taste good the fact that they are not perfect rounds on the bun does not matter a great deal!
Note: illos used are stock photos