Mince pies – either bought or homemade – for this I’ve used a sweet pastry.
- 320g GF plain flour
- 40g Chestnut flour (or ground almonds will work)
- 1/2tsp salt
- 175g cold butter cut into pieces
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 egg and 75ml cold water
- 1 beaten egg for glazing
- Heat over to 180c or gm6
- Put all dried ingredients and butter into a bowl and rub together until the consistency of bread crumbs
- Mix in egg and water
- Chill mix in fridge
- When chilled roll out, cut round bases and out into your tart trays.
- Fill with mincemeat
- Cut stars for open pies or lids if closed pies are preferred
- Place tops onto pies and brush with beaten egg
- Sprinkle with a little sugar (optional) and bake
If making this as an alternative xmas desert to a pud then make one large tart with a lattice top.
You can mix pastry in a food processor but this can over mix the dough. I prefer to use a hand pastry blender – apart from anything else its less washing up!